South Beach Miami + Hip Style and Value
South Beach Miami
Hip Style and Value
Miami and Miami Beach are really two separate cities. Miami, on the mainland, is South Florida's commercial hub. Miami Beach, on 17 islands in Biscayne Bay, is sometimes considered America's Riviera.
The South Beach is a section of Miami Beach. It is located on an island between Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean.
• The South Beach Miami starts at 1st Street and ends on 23rd Street.
• About 100 years ago Miami was mosquito-infested swampland with an Indian trading post on the Miami River.
• South Beach was the first section of Miami Beach to be developed in the 1910s.
• The 1926 hurricane destroyed a major part of Miami.
• In the 1950s thousands of Cubans fleeing the regime of Fidel Castro arrived in Miami.
• In the late 1970's, many refuges from Haiti also began settling in the Miami area.
• the late 1970s and into 1980s, South Beach was mostly a retirement community.
• In 1980 Miami had the highest murder rate in America.
• In the late 1980s a renaissance of South Beach Miami Riviera.
• Today South Beach Miami is a popular travel destination for people of all ages.
Tourism is main industry in the Miami area producing billions of dollars every year. The Miami metropolitan area also has many light manufacturing plants. Factory production includes furniture, clothing, metal goods, printed material and transportation equipment.
Miami International Airport is one of the world's busiest terminals. The airport serves as the main gateway between the United States and Latin America.
The Port of Miami handles passengers and cargo ships from all over the world.
Peak Tourist season - from mid October through April.
• Miami Beach population is 87,925.
• Miami population is 404,000 and growing.
• Miami has the biggest Latin American population outside of Latin America.
• Miami Beach has often been rated as one of the 10 best vacation spots in the world.
• Time Zone: Miami like New York, is in the Eastern Standard Time (EST) Zone.
• Miami Sales Tax is 7 %.
• Miami temperature averages 81o F (27o C) in July and 71o F (22o C) in January. The coastal ares have slightly colder summer and warmer winter temperature than do the inland areas.
• Miami has an opera company, two dance companies, and dozens of art galleries and theaters.
• The downtown Miami-Dade Cultural Center houses the main public library, the Miami Art Museum, and the Historical Museum of Southern Florida.
Other points of interest include:
• Lowe Art Museum
• The Seaquarium
• The World Erotic Art Museum
In South Beach Miami everything is within walking distance and parking is a costly nightmare.
M.i.a.m.i. stands for:
M - oney
I - s
M - ajor
I - ssue
• South Beach is a place you never have nothing to do.
• South Beach is a place where age is literally just a number.
• South Beach Miami is an international destination for an American. The only thing is different - you don't need your passport!
The metropolitan area is also the home of the Miami Dolphins of National Football League, the Florida Marlins, National league Baseball Team, the Miami Heat of the National Baseball Association, and the Florida Panthers of the National Hockey League.
We are adding interesting (and super cute!) facts about South Beach Miami and South Florida all the time.